I offer individual or group drums lessons for all ages and abilities.
My aim is to help students find and play music that resonates with them and to challenge students in fun and rewarding ways. I use a diversity of teaching methods, from more traditional books and resources to progressive styles of teaching such as musical games and creative exercises. Methods are chosen and adapted to suit the specific student, including those with special educational needs. I take an all-rounded approach to teaching the drums and aim for students to become more independent in their learning as they progress. I offer opportunity to undertake grades or to choose another rewarding route. This is something we will discuss to make sure we take the right approach for you or your child.
Topics covered include:
- Learning new and exciting drum grooves and fills
- Learning songs by ear
- How to keep time and play to music
- The opportunity to play a specific style or explore a diverse range of music
- How to improvise and construct rhythms
- Developing feel and style
- Improving our musical memory
- Understanding notation (reading and writing – if appropriate)
- Improving speed, consistency and endurance
- Developing technique and posture
- Developing four-way coordination